Deportations from the province of Krasnoyarsk

Deportations from the province of Krasnoyarsk

The first deportations of farmers from those districts of the province of Krasnoyarsk situated on the banks of the Yenissey River went into the taiga to all kinds of "kulak areas" (Mostovoe, Gorevka and others). In February 1930 the northwestern regions of the province (Bolshaya Murta, Pirovskoe, Kasachinsk) were hit by the deportations to Makovka (see survey on the deportations from the province of Achinsk). In addition to this, we have knowledge on the displacement of internal exiles to the east in the first half of 1930, to Trans-baikalia (to the coal mines in Bugachach), from where they were deported further to the mines in Cheremkhovo (directly to Cheremkovo and to Kassyapovka station) one year later. There is also information about deportations to Cheremkhovo from the district of Zyar in the succeeding year 1931, but they might be inexact and possibly also happened in 1930. As for the subject of deportations to the Cheremkhovsk coal mines also see sections 3.4, 3.5.

In the summer of 1930, when the ice was drifting on the Yenissey, they started a large-scale deportation to Igarka. The next deportation wave to Igarka began in the summer of 1931. During these years they also removed farmers from the province of Kansk to Igarka (see survey on deportations from this province). The stream of internal exiles to Igarka also came from the district of Yenisseysk and even from the Turukhansk region (as called at that time, from Yartsevo, Vorogovo and other villages on the banks of the Yenissey River). After having finished the building of barracks, instead of the original dug-outs, these were given names such as Pirovsk, Murtinsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irbeysk, Novosyolovsk, Yartsevsk, etc. barracks, as the internal exiles from one and the same place commonly lived and worked together.

A small number of the exiles from these streams, instead of being taken to Igarka, ended up in Kureyka and in the settlement of Noginsk (today Sverdlovsk), along the Kureyka River to the north to a mine called "Yubileyny." Later, almost all exiles were transferred from this mine to Igarka. Today the Kureyka hydroelectric power plant can be found in this place.

In the summer of 1931, at the same time they deported farmers from Vorogovo to Igarka, they relocated internal exiles from the Dauriya and Balakhta districts (south of Krasnoyarsk) to the settlement of Strelka, 5 km away from Vorogovo.

They had already started in 1933 to transfer many exiles from Igarka to Krasnoyarsk, usually to the timber mills and the woodworking combinate. Such transfers happened on a particularly obvious mass scale in the years 1936-1938. They even transported children whose parents had perished during exile from Igarka to Krasnoyarsk. But these children were continued to be kept under exile status. Apart from Krasnoyarsk, exiles from Igarka were also taken to the Snamensk glassworks.

Many exiles, particularly from suburban villages and the countryside, were taken straight to the Krasnoyarsk woodworking combinate and the timber mills. In spite of this, however, the vast majority was not represented by "local" exiles, but by those who had come from Ukraina and partly Transbaikalia.

The left banks of the Yenissey and its confluents near the village of Yartsevo developed into another major place of exile for farmers deported from the Krasnoyarsk province in 1931.

At that time this territory belonged to the district of Turukhansk (it was traditionally called "Turukhansk district"), but when the population of internal exiles greatly increased the state power decided to form a new district named Yartsevo. At the end of the 1950s, after the release of many internal exiles, the population fell drastically, and the district was abolished by annexing it to the district of Yenisseysk. Unlike Igarka, the exile settlements in the district of Yartsevo were scattered over dozens of kilometers because they were mainly bound to the woodworking and rafting of timber. Some of these settlements were situated on the Bolshoy Kassovsk Island, others more to the south, up the Kas River.The chronology of deportations from the province of Krasnoyarsk is mainly limited to the years 1930 and 1931. We are merely providing some information on the deportation from the district of Bolshemurta to the timber mill in Maklakovo in 1933. Obviously, there were no large-scale exile streams from the province of Krasnoyarsk after 1931 (as distinguished from Kansk). 


Home